10.21.2009

Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake!

So, I've joined a blogging group. I'm officially part of "Cake Slice Bakers". This group picks a new cake cookbook once a year, and democratically chooses a recipe to bake each month, which will be revealed on the 20th. Forgive my tardiness on this first month - I have procrastination standards to uphold, after all! And the stove I prefer to use (my father's) is currently located in his living room. But that's a whole 'nother story.


The book this year is "Southern Cakes" by Nancie McDermott. For our first cake, we baked Cinnamon Pecan Coffee Cake. Now, my dear friend Chrissy recently confessed to me an undying love for coffee cake (okay maybe not undying, but at least profound). She also happens to be quite allergic to nuts. Ergo, I decided my first scratch baking endeavour in ages should be additionally complicated by splitting it into two batches. But all in all, it did turn out pretty delicious.


My pans weren't the perfect size, I overcooked them slightly, and the with-nuts version had a bit of a bubbling over problem. But that's nothing three tablespoons of cinnamon in the filling didn't solve. So hey, maybe they ain't pretty, but Chrissy ate it up and her hubby Brian did too, and I'm guilty of at least a few slices myself. Or maybe more... Calories be damned.

4 comments:

  1. You did great! they look really delicious. I need to get that cookbook! I love the main photo on your page..reminds me of home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kari!

    I just wanted to stop by and introduce myself- My name is Joy and I’m another one of the newbie Cake Slice bakers. I’m really looking forward to meeting other members, and I hope to have the chance to get to know you better as we bake our way through Southern Cakes :)

    Your coffee cakes look absolutely delicious, and it was so sweet of you to bake one specially for your friend... I'm sure she truly appreciated it! There's nothing like a homemade scratch baked cake to brighten someone's day.

    If you have a chance, I’d love for you to stop by my blog, “Hot Oven, Warm Heart,” and say hello- it’d be wonderful to hear from you!

    Have a great rest of your week and a relaxing weekend!

    Fondly,
    Joy
    http://hotovenwarmheart.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome! You are indeed a good friend to make the extra effort of making a nut-free version of this cake. Great job.

    ReplyDelete