11.21.2009

Burnt Sugar Cake - No, it's not burned.

So as it's the 20th of the month (yesterday...) it's time for me to post again about the Cake Slice Bakers. I know, I've been a terribly remiss blogger otherwise. Insert semi hollow promises about future blogging here. But that being said, I DID manage to bake my cake(s) this month, and right on time, even if the following write-up was a wee bit tardy.


This was our second cake from Nancie McDermott's Southern Cakes. It's a burnt sugar cake, made by creating a sugar+boiling water = burnt sugar syrup that is infused in the cake batter and in the icing. This cake had to deal with a time crunch (I was trying to do laundry, accomplish 900 spurious and unnecessary things, pack for Thanksgiving and drive to the Bay Area, all while baking) but it turned out pretty well nevertheless. I halved the recipe and chose to bake in a jumbo cupcake pan, which yielded six large "baby cakes" exactly. By spying on fellow bloggers beforehand I learned the frosting left something to be desired, and being personally partial to warm naked cake I left it out. I drizzled the remaining syrup over top, and dumped on a bit of powdered sugar for aesthetic purposes.

I promise to try and never say the phrase "warm naked cake" again. Maybe.

Other than the half I pillaged straight out of the oven - purely for quality control, of course - my step mom Vicki and I ate these later that night with a bit of pumpkin gelato. Which, if you haven't had, you can thank me later for introducing you to one of the great wonders of the world. (Seriously. Stop reading, get off your computer, and go find some before it's out of season. This blog is not so important as to stand in the way of you and a delicious frosty pumpkiny taste treat.) Grandma Lucy informs me that as of day 2 there is a distinct buttery flavor and almost pound cake-like texture to the baby cakes.

See that nice drizzling technique?

Overall, this cake came together really easily. It'd be a nice one to make again when you want something low effort, but a little fancier than splurging on the moist deluxe boxed cake mix. (Especially if you eat it with pumpkin gelato. Seriously.)

[If you'd like the recipe, I recommend visiting this blog of a fellow cake slice baker: Lick The Bowl Good. This is how I found out about cake slice bakers. She gives great recipes and explanations, and takes pretty oogle worthy food photos as well.]

2 comments:

  1. Aw, thanks for the compliments and for linking to my blog. I'm so glad you decided to join the CSB!

    I agree with you about the frosting, but i like your version with a simple dustinf od powdered sugar- I think that's all it needed.

    ANd where can I get some pumpkin gelato?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you say pumpkin gelato? Hope I can still find one.

    ReplyDelete